Comedy Now! Returns for Sixth Season of Canuck Yuks April 12 on CTV
Toronto (April 11, 2003) – Five seasons, over 100 comedians and 11 Gemini nominations later, Comedy Now! (including Comedy Specials) is the pre-eminent showcase of Canadian comedic talent. And there are more laughs to come with an all-new sixth season Saturdays at 10 p.m. ET, beginning April 12 on CTV.
A TV calling card for comedic success, Comedy Now! has featured some of Canada’s most successful comedians, including Harland Williams, Shaun Majumder, Seán Cullen, Jeremy Hotz, Brent Butt, Brigitte Gall, Gavin Crawford, Mike Bullard, Derek Edwards, Elvira Kurt, Roman Danylo and Jason Rouse. The Gemini Award winning series has won multiple international awards, including 19 Worldfest Festival Awards, and has been sold to many markets, including Comedy Central in the U.S.
Headlining the first of 13 all-new episodes on April 12 is London, Ontario native Steve Patterson. With an arsenal of wit, sarcasm and song, the first generation Irish-Canadian provides his own hilarious point of view on politics, parents and Celine Dion:
“The only famous Canadian celebrity they know in Ireland is Celine Dion. They think we have statues of Celine Dion all over the place. I had to explain to them that no, those are just lamp posts.”
Additional highlights from Season Six include:
· April 19: Described as “Raggedy Anne on acid,” Canadian Comedy Award winner, Gemini nominee and Nova Scotia native Nikki Payne delivers high-octane hilarity with wild abandon.
· April 26: Ottawa Valley storyteller Sean Collins relays wickedly dark tales that are fearless in their subject matter.
· May 10: In his second Comedy Now! special, dancing devil Winston Spear returns with more of his unique brand of charmingly warped and demented comedy.
· May 17: The cartoonish physicality that led The Hollywood Reporter to name him “a comedic face to watch” is more than apparent with Alex Nussbaum’s repertoire of absurdist, observational humour.
· May 24: Ottawa’s Tracey MacDonald reaches back to her East Coast roots
in her trademark self-deprecating style in this half hour of hilarity.
Additional comedians featured in season six include Kate Davis (May 3),
David Pryde (May 17), Montreal’s David Acer (May 24), Calgary’s Cory Mack,
Chris Quigley, The Warm-Up Show’s Sean Tweedley and Winnipeg native
Comedy Now! is produced by Hi Guys Six Productions in association with CTV
and The Comedy Network, with the participation of the Canadian Television Fund created by the Government of Canada and the Canadian cable industry.
CTV, Canada’s largest private broadcaster, offers a wide range of quality news, sports, information, and entertainment programming. It boasts the number-one national newscast, CTV News With Lloyd Robertson, and is the number-one choice for prime-time viewing. CTV owns 21 conventional television stations across Canada and has interests in 15 specialty channels, including the number-one Canadian specialty channel, TSN. CTV is owned by Bell Globemedia, Canada’s premier multi-media company. More information about CTV may be found on the company Web site at www.ctv.ca.